14 Feb Lifestyle Expert has Advice for Autism Parents
Taking care of a child with autism can be tiring. It is important to set aside some time for yourself every once in a while in order to recharge.
This video discusses the importance of self-care, what sort of activities self-care entails and best practices for ensuring you take care of yourself.
What We Learned from this Video:
- Self-care extends beyond basic medical needs: it also includes doing things that make you feel relaxed and taken care of.
- It also includes doing things that you are passionate about. It is important not to lose yourself in your responsibilities.
- Not allowing yourself an outlet for your interests can lead to resentment and frustration, which in turn can have a detrimental effect on the responsibilities that you are trying to focus on.
- By not finding time to take care of yourself, you will find it more difficult to take care of your family.
- The common doubt many people have is that setting aside time for themselves is selfish. In truth, it is actually the opposite: by taking care of yourself, you ensure you are in a better position to take care of your family.
- It is important to COMMIT to your “you time.” Do not change your plans or give up on scheduling something because you don’t have time in the near future.
- Don’t be afraid to ask people for help if you need it.
- Helping others can boost your confidence and make you happier.
- It is helpful to have an “accountability buddy” who helps keep you honest about taking time for yourself. Tell them about your plans and ask them to remind you about it.
- Spouses are the best partners for sharing the burden and switching off with you in order to give each other breaks.
It can be difficult to know where to start when it comes to self-care. We have videos in our Free Video Library to encourage you to take care of yourself.