14 Feb Top 10 Reasons for an Adult Diagnosis of ASD — Aspergers Central
Posted at 02:55h in
Are you an adult wondering if you are on the autism spectrum? There are several signs that can help you figure out the answer to that question. Getting a diagnosis may help you understand aspects of your life that have been a mystery up until now.
Learn from Andrew of Asperger’s Central as he lays out 10 reasons why you might seek an autism diagnosis as an adult.
What We Learned from this Video:
- Reason #1: Trouble making and keeping friends.
- Reason #2: Special interests. People with autism may become fixated on certain things.
- Reason #3: People with autism may have trouble socializing with others, especially when in big groups of people.
- Reason #4: Going out anywhere different or uncomfortable can lead to increased anxiety.
- Reason #5: Academics. Autistic individuals tend to excel in either creative endeavors or technical skills.
- Reason #6: Similar to having trouble socializing, autistic individuals often have trouble with communication in the workplace.
- Reason #7: Romance can be very difficult for people with communication issues.
- Reason #8: Literal interpretation of idioms and metaphors.
- Reason #9: Obsessing over a single thought or topic.
- Reason #10: Autistic individuals may suffer from depression or self-esteem issues.
- This is not a checklist. You do not have to have all of these to have autism, and having some of them does not necessarily mean you have autism.
- Getting an autism diagnosis is about understanding the framework you’re working within.
Getting an autism diagnosis can be daunting, but there is nothing to fear! Having a diagnosis is not a bad thing, and can help you better understand yourself and your needs. Please browse our videos on autism diagnosis for more helpful information. You can also check out our blog post about the benefits of an autism diagnosis for adults.