When raising a child with autism, stress management is important for both the parents and the child. Simple stretching and breathing exercises can help reduce frustration and anxiety.
Dr. Jo takes us through a full body stretch routine to promote physical and mental wellness.
What We Learned from this Video:
- These kinds of stretches are not meant to be held for more than 20 or 30 seconds. They are just meant to relax your muscles.
- These stretches will work down your body, starting with head turns and side bends to stretch your neck.
- Then you move on to shoulders, doing forward and backward shoulder rolls followed by back shoulder squeezes.
- Next you move down to your torso, doing 20 seconds of trunk rotations.
- You then move down to your legs, doing hamstring stretches to stretch both your legs and your back.
- Moving back up slightly to your trunk, you then do 20 seconds of side bends.
- Next, you move on to a full body stretch, doing 20 seconds of bringing your arms in circles from above your head to the ground and back.
- To finish the exercise, you take five deep breaths.
These exercises are simply one step towards living a healthier lifestyle. Browse our free video library for more tips on how to improve your wellbeing.